The indoor aquaponics system (shown right) is
- Ideal for a family.
- Very cost effective way to grow food at home.
- Provides plenty of fresh salad, stocks up to 3.5kg of fish
- Can fit into a small garden, greenhouse or indoors
We like this unit very much….. It will provide a large amount of veg and is great for growing fish. If you find you can’t cope with the large amount grow, why not set up your own little business?.
An alternative indoor aquaponics kit is to use the DIY aquaponics plan – where you can build a similar unit at a fraction of the cost.
The indoor aquaponics system
If you want to grow herbs & vegetables at home than an indoor aquaponics system – like The FishPlant Family Unit is a great way to get start.
The package includes :
- Everything necessary to setup the system including the clay pebbles.
- Full build instructions and operation guide.
Because of the compact design the fish tank and grow bed can be manoeuvred through normal doorways.
The FishPlant units operate on a flood and drain system with an autosiphon which provides efficient, low maintenance operation.
How does it work / what is aquaponics ?
Aquaponics is very similar to hydroponics – where you grow your plants only using water.
However the key difference is that the water will contain fish – so you only have to feed the fish and their excrement will nourish the plants.
The advantages of using aquaponics to grow plants are
Same advantages as hydroponics – i.e.
- no soil required,
- easier to grow & manage plants, etc.
However, in addition:
- Aquaponics can be cheaper to operate as fish feed is often cheaper than the nutrients added to the water in an hydroponic system
- Once well established (after about 6 months) it can produce even faster growth and better yields than hydroponics.
- Easier to get fully organic plants.
- The fish can be very appealing to households (with big or little children)
Why is this indoor aquaponics system so ideal ?
It will generate enough fresh vegetables, herbs and salads to provide a couple (or small family) throughout the year. (as well as being able to stock 3.5 kg of fish)
The advantage is that it is small enough to fit in a spare room, balcony, greenhouse or even outdoors.
- Raise fish and grow plants in the environmentally-friendly FishPlant enclosed ecosystem to eat or enjoy, the choice is yours
- An ecologically-friendly method of producing nourishing, healthy food which is also educational and fun for the whole family
- New & exclusive to Amazon; the innovative FishPlant ‘Total Care’ systems are a single purchase package containing everything you need
- Provides a small family with plenty of fresh salad, stocks up to 3.5kg of fish & can fit into a small garden, greenhouse or indoors
- FishPlant was created by experts from leading universities and horticultural companies and designed for everyone
Best aquaponic vegetables or herbs ?
For more details have a look at the best plants for aquaponics guide
Best aquaponic fish ?
- If you want to ‘farm’ to eat then you can include fish like Tilapia, Carp, Perch and even Trout.
- If you prefer them for decoration (or maybe a small ‘commercial side line’) try fish like Koi Carp or Goldfish.
For full details of the indoor aquaponic system visit Amazon.