Example Basil Recipes
As my homegrown basil grows I will be adding example recipes below – to show how each one can be used. To be kept updated simply visit my Instagram page
Quick links for recipes using:
How to grow Basil
There are many different varieties of basil and each has it’s own unique flavour.
- Genovese Basil – has a strong basil flavour and often used by chefs
- Holy Basil – has a very peppery flavour – often called hot basil.
- Lemon Basil – has a very intense citrus (lemony) aroma.
- Thai Basil – has a standard basil flavour combined with a strong liquorice and anise flavour
- Cinnamon Basil – has a very spicy, fragrant aroma and flavor.
Herbs (like basil) are very easy to grow at home, and you will notice a real difference in the taste when using fresh herbs in cooking.
it is very easy to grow herbs indoors when you focus on 3 items:
- Nutrients – The right type & amount of nutrients (including water),
- Light – The right amount of light for your herb type
- Temperature – The best temperature.
Yes, growing herbs in little pots of soil will work.
However the downside is that this depends on lots of sunshine, as well as making sure you provide exactly the right amount of water. (not to much or to little).
By far and way the easiest way to grow herbs indoors is to use an automated hydroponic or aquaponic unit.
Hydroponic & aquaponic systems are very similar. After you have selected the best herbs to grow indoors, you simply grow them with the roots growing in water and not soil. This is the method used by most commercial growers (for example for herbs and other crops like tomatoes and peppers) as it tends to get the best results.
For details of the Basil used in the Basil recipes, as well as growing advice follow the links below