Making fresh tomato and basil soup is very easy to do, and great for using home grown ingredients.
The key elements that make all the difference are:
- The type tomatoes used
- Fresh Basil
- Slow cooker or using the hob
Taking them in turn.
The type of tomatoes
If you can’t grow your own try to use vine-ripened tomatoes – as they will have most flavour.
On the other hand growing your tomatoes at home as very easy to use – but try to grow Roma or San Marzano types as they will add most flavour.
The type of basil
Fresh basil makes a real difference to the taste of your basil and tomato soup.
If you buy some in the shops it is highly likely to be Genovese basil.
But even the ones in a shop won’t taste as nice as your own freshly grown ones. (by the time basil reaches the shop it is often at least 1 day old, or longer). Growing basil as home is incredibly easy, for more details have a look at the indoor herb garden system
Slow cooker or the hob ?
One of the key advantage of using a slow cooker is that it helps bring out the best possible flavour (According to Pennsylvania State University).
That is not only for meats but also items like soup. Yes, there are lots of recipes for tomato and basil soup where they are either cooked on the hob or oven – but if you use a slow cooker you will notice a real difference.
In addition it also makes it so much easier – simply switch it to the required temperature and you can just leave it.
The tomato and basil soup recipe
The recipe below will show you step by step how to make your own basil and tomato soup.
- 900 g Tomatoes Vine ripened or Roma or San Marzano
- 2 tbsp Chopped Basil
- 1 Onion
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp Sun-dried tomato paste
- 600 ml Vegetable stock
- 25 g Butter
- 120 ml dry white wine
- 150 ml double cream
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 3 tbsp virgin olive oil
- Chef’s knife
- Chopping Board
- Slow Cooker
- Food mill
Step 1 – Prepare the ingredients
- Chop the tomatoes into large pieces, and cut the onion & garlic into small pieces
- Make the vegetable stock
Step 2 – Heat the ingredients
- Heat oil and butter in saucepan
- Add & fry the onion until softened, add the garlic and fry for another 1 minute.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes, stock, oregano, white wine and sun-dried tomato paste.
- Stir and heat to just below boiling
Step 3 – Slow Cooker
- Pour everything into the slow cooker and put on high for 1 hour
- After 1 hour switch to low for another 4 hours
Step 4 – The Food Mill
- Leave to cool for a few minutes and then run through food mill.
Step 5 – Finalise the soup
- Pour into clean saucepan and add basil and cream and heat until just below boiling
- Add seasoning if required and enjoy.
How to grow basil at home
Basil is very easy to grow at home.
For step by step advice have a look at ‘how to grow basil indoors’
Tomato and Basil Soup
- Chef Knife
- Chopping Board
- Slow Cooker
- Step 1 – Prepare the ingredientsChop the tomatoes into large pieces, and the onion & garlic into small piecesMake the vegetable stock
- Step 2 – Heat the ingredientsHeat oil and butter in saucepanAdd & fry the onion until softened, add the garlic and fry for another 1 minute.Then add the chopped tomatoes, stock, oregano, white wine and sun-dried tomato paste.Stir and heat to just below boiling
- Step 3 – Slow CookerPour everything into the slow cooker and put on high for 1 hourafter 1 hour switch to low for another 4 hours
- Step 4 – The Food MillLeave to cool for a few minutes and then run through food mill.
- Step 5 – Finalise the soupPour into clean saucepan and add basil and cream and heat until just below boiling
Made this recipe ?
Would be great if you could click on a star above right (below the main picture) to rate it
How to grow Tomato and Basil Soup ingredients
Hopefully the basil and tomato soup recipe might inspire you to grow your own fresh basil and tomatoes at home.
When you are cooking fresh herbs tend to make a real difference to the results. Herbs are really easy to grow at home and many of them grow really fast.
To grow your own tomatoes
It’s not very difficult to grow your own at home – even indoors (in your kitchen, spare bedroom, garage, etc.)
All you will need are seeds, growing system and some growing lights. There is detailed description of the – indoor tomato growing system
To grow your own basil
Basil is very easy to grow your own at home in your kitchen, dining room, etc. For the best & fastest results all you will need are seeds, growing system and some growing lights. There is detailed description at how to grow basil indoors
The equipment needed
To make the basil and tomato soup is not very difficult, and you will probably already have most of the equipment. The one item I find that made a real difference is the rotatory food mill – Available from Amazon