Recipe showing how to make Appelmoes
And no – it’s not appelsauce
If you are used to the typically english habit of having a little bit of applesauce with your dinner – then you are in for a real treat.
Appelmoes is a typically dutch food, loved by children & adults alike.
You can add it to virtually any food – ideal with chips, main meals or fantastic with kappucijners.
Go into any dutch shop like Albert Heijn & you will find many different types of varieties – from smooth to bits, from plain to premium.
For example most big supermarkets will have over 30 varieties.
How to make appelmoes ?
It’s very easy to make at home.
I haven’t made my own video yet showing how to make appelmoes, but hopefully the video below shows how to make appelmoes or read further down..
How to make appelmoes Recipe
To make appelmoes you will need:
- 1 kg Apples – something like Cox, Braeburn, Golden Delicious, etc.
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tea spoon Cinnamon (Optional)
- Peel the apples, cut them in 4 and take out the core. Then cut them into smaller bits. Cut the lemon in half, and squeeze out the juice.
- Add the applepieces to 100 ml water in a large pan, add 1 table spoon lemon juice, 1 table spoon sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Heat until boiling.
- Turn down the heat, partly cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Stirring now and then.
- Remove the lid and switch of the heat. For a smooth appelmoes use either a potato masher or a hand blender (like the one on the right) for 1 minute, for one with bits just leave.
- Spoon into a dish – and eat (quickly) before the kids get to it.
You can save the appelmoes in a fridge for a couple of days.
Adding cinnamon is very optional. Many appelmoes recipes tend to suggest it but personally I prefer not to add it, as that will give a much fresher ‘authentic’ flavour.
The new ultimate garlic crusher
No need to peel garlic and no waste
The ultimate garlic crusher :
- No more ‘smelly’ garlic fingers
- Easy to clean, dishwasher safe
- Fine holes for the ideal garlic for cooking
- Simply a step up from other garlic crushers.
For more details visit Amazon
- Chef Knife
- Large pan
- Hand blender
- 1 kg Apples
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Optional
- 100 ml Water
- Get all the ingrdients ready. Then peel the apples, cut them in 4 and take out the core. Then cut them into smaller bits. Cut the lemon in half, and squeeze out the juice
- Add the apple pieces to 100 ml water in a large pan, add 1 table spoon lemon juice, 1 table spoon sugar and optionally 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat the pan until boiling.
- Turn down the heat, partly cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Stirring now and then. Remove the lid and switch of the heat
- For a smooth appelmoes use either a potato masher, or use a blender or hand blender for 1 minute, for one with bits just leave.
Made this recipe ?
Would be great if you could click on a star above right (below the main picture) to rate it