A fresh mint syrup mojito is a lovely way to relax and think of holidays and sunshine.
Making your own mint syrup is easy & great for experimenting with flavours:
- For example after eight mint will give a chocolate minty flavour
- Fresh pepper mint is probably a traditional mojito
- Or why not try apple mint (as shown on the right)
Making your own mint syrup takes less than 20 minutes and costs virtually nothing (only sugar has to be bought) – more details.
How to make fresh mint syrup mojito
- 1 shot mint syrup (any flavour)
- 30 ml lime juice
- 1 shot white rum
- A few mint leaves (for decoration)
- 1 slice of lime (for decoration)
- 8 ice cubes (crushed)
- 120 ml soda
- Cocktail shaker
- Pour the mint syrup, lime juice and rum into a cocktail shaker
- Add a handful of crushed ice and shake.
- Pour into a glass filled with ice.
- Add the mint leaves and lime on top and pour in the soda.
- Stir and serve with a straw.
- Optional – if using apple mint syrup add a cinnamon stick
Different types of mint syrup
There are well over 1000 different types of mint, although about 20 types are most often grown at home. the beauty is that they are easy to grow and will have different flavours, great if you want to experiment.
Fresh mint syrup mojito
- 1 cocktail shaker (optional)
- 1 Shot Fresh mint syrup
- 1 Shot White Rum
- 30 ml Lime juice
- 8 ice cubes crushed
- 4 mint leaves (for decoration)
- 1 slice Lime (for decoration)
- 120 ml Soda
- Step 1 – Prepare the base mix– Pour the mint syrup, lime juice and rum into a cocktail shaker– Add a handful of crushed ice– And shake
- Step 2 – Pour into the glass– Fill a tall glass with crushed ice– Pour the mix into the glass– Add the mint leaves and lime piece on top
- Step 3 – Finish the mojito– Pour in the soda.– Stir and serve with a straw.
Hopefully the guide might inspire you to grow your own fresh mint at home and make your own fresh mint syrup.
To grow your own mint
It’s not very difficult to grow your own at home – either outdoors or even indoors (in your kitchen, spare bedroom, garage, etc.
All you will need are seeds or plug plants, growing system and some growing lights. Please note that mint does tend to grow very fast, which is great if you want to use it in recipes.
There is detailed description of the – indoor herb growing system