- Ideal for Hungarian recipes & goulash (H)
- Mild & sweet to hot
- Easy to grow.
- Takes about 3 months to grow
- Seeds available online – Where to buy hungarian paprika seeds
The Hungarian paprika
- Often linked to Hungary it was originally from Mexico and introduced to Hungary during the Ottoman era
- Mild & sweet to hot– see below
- Ideal for Hungarian recipes (such as goulash) as well as dry rubs and barbecue spice.
- Days from seed to harvest – about 90 (3 months)
- About 70 to 100 cm high
The Hungarian paprika when grown from seed has a nice and sharp flavour, and is ideal for soup or goulash.
In addition to hungarian recipes also perfect for dry rubs and barbecue spice. In addition it’s a very common ingredient in many recipes around the world (i.e. Portugese, Tunisian, etc.)
- Hungarian goulash (see video below)
- Chicken paprika
- Portuegese Red Pepper Paste
Hungarian Beef Goulash Recipe
How to grow the hungarian paprika at home
The hungarian paprika can be grown from seed.
How to grow hungarian paprika outdoors (garden, balcony, etc.)
The peppers prefer direct sunlight, well drained soil and need to be frost free.
If you want to grow them outdoors then the best option is to start them indoors about 8 weeks before the last frost and then transfer them when the nights are warmer.
They can be grown easily from seed but it’s very important to provide the right amount of moisture and to thin them out as they grow.
Fully grown they can be upto 45 to 60 cm in height i.e. an individual pot might be the best option.
How to grow hungarian paprika indoors (hydroponics or aquaponics)
Because of the importance of moisture and light the peppers are ideally suited for hydroponics with additional lights.
Not only are they easier to grow, but you will also get fast results.