- Ideal for Asian / Chinese recipes.
- Easy to grow.
- Takes about 2 months to grow
- Seeds available online – where to buy celtuce lettuce seeds
Celtuce lettuce is the ideal lettuce to grow for Asian / Chinese recipes, as well as stewed and creamed dishes.
It’s taste is crisp, moist, and mildly flavored, and typically prepared by slicing and then stir frying with more strongly flavored ingredient while the young leaves are used as lettuce for salads and stir-fry.
How to grow celtuce lettuce
The celtuce lettuce is grown for its fleshy stem.
Treat like lettuce and sow in the spring, harvesting leaves as soon as big enough.
Lettuce is a cool weather crop with spring and autumn sowing recommended for best results.
- Very easy to grow.
- Simply sowing in a depth of 0.6 to 1.2 cm (1/4inch to 1/2inch),
- Space 20 to 30cm (8 to 12in) in the row, and treat like regular lettuce.
- The perfect temperature for germination is 4 to 16°C (40 to 60°F).
Lettuce lettuce is rich in nutrients, especially in leaves. Each 500 grams of fresh lettuce leaves, containing 10 grams of protein, fat 2.5 grams, carbohydrates 16.5 grams, 190 mg of calcium, 185 mg of phosphorus, iron 5.5 mg, carotene 10.7 mg, vitamin B20.6 mg, vitamin C75 mg and so on. But in the stem content is much lower, every 500 grams of lettuce stems, containing only 1.5 grams of protein, fat is only 0.2 grams, carbohydrates only 4.7 grams, carotene and vitamin C content is minimal.
Salad lettuce practice
1. Preparation of ingredients: lettuce, scallion 2 tablespoons, salt and sugar
2. lettuce with a planer shaved (to white part of the stem shaved clean, affecting the taste)
3. Cut into silk, add 5 grams of salt and mix for about half an hour
4. pickled look (pickled time not too short, let the water of the lettuce are marinated out the taste was crisp, if not pickled, the back of the mix or after the water will affect the taste)
5. marinated a good lettuce dried up (squeezed the taste to do)
6. add onion oil, half teaspoon of salt and sugar can mix well (no scallion with sesame oil or olive oil can)