- Ideal for stews, soups, meat and fish dishes.
- Easy to grow
- Takes about 2 to 3 months to grow
- Originally from southern Europe and the Mediterranean region.
- Very strong thyme flavour.
- Ideal for stews, soups and with meat and fish recipes.
- Days from seed to harvest – about 70 to 90 (2 to 3 months)
- About 15 to 30 cm high
Example French Thyme recipes
French or common thyme is probably the type you will have used in cooking. The leaves have a strong aroma and are useful in stews, soups and with meat and fish dishes.
Because it’s such a powerful herb is it great when combined with other herbs like garlic, oregano, rosemary, etc.
Typical Recipes are
How to grow French thyme at home
The French thyme plants are very easy to grow from seed,
Thyme tends to be best suited to well drained soil and full sun.
Which is why it’s ideal for growing either using soil or hydroponics on a balcony (if it’s sunny) or using a kitchen hydroponic or aquaponic kit with back up lighting.
If using soil
- Sow the seeds thinly into moist warm soil
- Cover slighly – will germinate 7 to 21 days
- Thin to 30 cm between plants
Using Hydronics or Aquaponics
- Thyme is ideal for hydroponics or aquaponics
- Will take about 5 to 7 weeks before harvesting
- You can speed this up by planting cuttings