- One of the superfoods and ideal for boerenkool.
- Easy to grow using our indoor & balcony growing system
- Takes about 2 months to grow
- Seeds available online – where to buy curly kale seeds
Curly kale is one of the world’s superfoods, very easy to grow with a fantastic taste.
Eaten for over 2000 years kale is making a comeback as one of the most trendiest and healthiest foods.
As one of the brassicas ‘curly kale’ is very popular due to it’s health benefits – packed full of vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants it is full of healthy benefits (for example it contains more vitamin c than an orange !!
For more details of how to prepare & use curly kale have a look at
How to grow Boerenkool – Curly Kale
This is a crop that is easy to grow.
Most brassicas (like kale) require good quality soil – try to add compost in the winter months to get the best possible yealds.
But the advantage of this type of kale (like F1 reflex) is that it’s a ‘less demanding’ crop and you can get away with poorer soil.
You can either pre-sow under glass in March or sow them outside from April. They tolerate both full sun and semi-shade and will germinate in about 10 days
Like all seeds they are very popular to birds you will need to protect them until they reach about 30 cm high.
Or of course you could really ‘show off’ and go for the ultimate bedding like the one from Harrod Horticultural (shown right)
An early, reliable and popular variety producing low, compact plants (12-15″ tall, 20-35″spread) with finely curled, bluish-green leaves which can be harvested in all seasons.
- Withstands colder weather and a light frost especially improves flavour and sweetness.
- Can be grown as a spring or autumn crop.
- Ready for use 55 days from sowing.
- Sow 1/4 to 1/2″ deep, 1″ apart in rows 18-30″ apart.
- Thin seedlings to 8-12″ apart which can be transplanted or eaten.