- One of the most important herbs in French cooking.
- Takes about 2 to 3 months to grow
- French Tarragon plug plants are available from Amazon
Grow at home as an ingredient ?
This is one of the most important herbs we grow, for usage have a look at the example recipes below.
French tarragon is the key tarragon type to use if you are into cooking.
- Originally from Europe, Asia & North America
- Very delicate aromatic flavour.
- One of the most important herbs in French cooking & recipes.
- Days from seed to harvest – about 60 to 80 (2 to 3 months)
- About 60 to 90 cm high
Example French tarragon recipes
This herb has a very delicate aromatic flavour and is one of the most important herbs in French cooking & recipes. Ideal for seasoning salads, sauces, pickles, etc.
However you can’t grow it from seed, as it is grown by root division – best option when growing tarragon at home is to buy tarragon plugs.
- French tarragon chicken
- Party vols-au-vents (for filling small vols-au-vents, canapes, etc.)
- Tarragon Sauce (for poached fowl)
- Tarragon Sauce (for small cuts of beef)
How to grow french tarragon at home
The best option for growing French Tarragon is start with a plug plant. That is because it can only be grown from divisions or cuttings.
If you grow them outdoors then do note that tarrago will die to the ground in winter but will return the following spring.
On the other hand Spanish or Mexican Tarragon is available from seed and can be planted outside in a pot on a balcony or terrace or inside on a sunny windowsill (or using lighting)
- Sow thinly into soil at a depth of 6mm
- Will germinate in 14 to 28 days
- Thin the seedlings or transplant leaving 60 cm between plants
Growing Tarragon using Hydroponics or Aquaponics
Tarragon can be grown using both hydroponics and aquaponics.
See above – tarragon does grow quite tall (30 to 60 cm) but if you grow them indoors using artificial light you will be able to harvest them for a longer period.
Our product rating
We rated the 3 tarragon types on the best variety to grow for cooking at home.
Absolute must to grow at home – ideal for hydroponics or aquaponics