- This garlic is ideal for spicy East European dishes.
- Very intense, hot and spicy flavour
- Easy to grow.
- Takes about 3 to 4 months to grow
- Available on Amazon
Example red duke garlic recipes
Red Duke Garlic is great if you like garlic with a very intense, hot and spicy flavour.
How to grow Red Duke garlic at home
The Red Duke Garlic is very easy to grow, but (like all garlics) it does tend to smell when growing – you won’t notice it outside (terrace, balcony, etc.) but will notice it indoors.
They are ideal for areas with very cold winters (such as the UK, Northern Europe, North America, etc.) so they are dormant and then start in the spring i.e. ideal for outdoors, vegetable garden plots, etc.
Ideal location – balcony, patio or vegetable garden. (Or possibly unused spare room with extra light)
For best results plant in Autumn in cold climates or even better put in a fridge for 2 weeks before planting.
This variety of garlic has distinctive plump purple cloves.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: light sandy, rich fertile
- Days from seed to harvest – about 90 to 120 (3 to 4 months)
- Flowering Period: May, June
- Harvest Months: June, July
- Height: 60cm (24in)