- Ideal for any recipe where you want a ‘garlic flavour’
- Mild and sweet garlic flavour
- Easy to grow.
- Takes about 3 to 4 months to grow
- Available from Amazon
Germidour garlic is the ideal variety if you would like the type of garlic you buy in a shop.
Example Germidour garlic recipes
Very easy to grow it will give you your own homegrown garlic that can be used in any recipe where you want a ‘garlic flavour’
The above examples are very ‘garlic’ orientated, but the advantage of germidour garlic is that you can use it in exactly the same way as you would use garlic bought in a supermarket.
How to grow Germidour garlic at home.
The French Germidour Garlic is very easy to grow, but (like all garlics) it does tend to smell when growing – you won’t notice it outside (terrace, balcony, etc.) but will notice it indoors.
This softneck variety produces large, white bulbs with a mild but still rich flavour.
- Soil Type Fertile, Neutral
- Scent Pungent
- Site Full Sun
- Moisture Moist but Well-drained
- Height 60cm (24in)
- Spacing 15cm (6in)
- Sowing, Seeds, Planting Carefully split the bulb into individual cloves. Plant each clove at a depth of 2cm (1in) below the surface of the soil and 10cm (4in) apart, leaving 45cm (18in) between each row.
- Care Tips If your soil has the potential to become waterlogged then incorporate plenty of well-rotted manure or horticultural grit to improve drainage and feed the soil.
- Flowering May – July
- Harvesting Harvest June – July