- Ideal for recipes like roast leg of lamb or pasta meals, etc
- Easy to grow
- Takes about 3 months to grow
- Seeds available online – where to buy spearmint seeds
- Originally from Europe & Southern Asia
- Sweet delicate flavour, not as strong as the peppermint variety.
- Extensively used as an ingredient in recipes which require a delicate minty flavour.
- Days from seed to harvest – about 90 (3 months)
- About 30 to 45 cm high
How to use spearmint
When you grow spearmint seeds you will be growing the most popular type of seed.
For example not only is it great for recipes like roast leg of lamb but also good for pasta meals, etc
- Pasta with Mint Basil & Lemon Sauce (See video)
- Buttered New Potatoes with Parsley, Mint and Chives
- Pasta with Pancetta, Peas and Mint
Where & how to grow spearmint seeds.
Spearmint is a fun plant to grow, however…
Mint is a very fast growing plant that will grow using a network of runners. Which is why you need to be very careful when planting it next to other plants, as there is a real danger it will take over.
And which is why we also don’t recommend it for aquaponics – and if you want to grow it using hydropincs then the best option is to use a system like the balcony hydroponics one (with seperate pots)
Seed or Plant
In addition it is probably safer to start your orange mint using either a ready made plant, cutting or a plug plant. The reason is that mint is one of the herbs which is highly variable – and even using seeds from a reputable supplier you might still end up with a different type then the one you were hoping to grow.
- Plant in individual pots
- Optimal growing temperature is 15 to 20 ºC
- And full sunlight or high levels of artificial light.
More about spearmint seeds