San Marzono is a classic paste tomato and ideal for making authentic Italian sauces.
- Ideal location:
- Either outside in the summer – Balcony, patio or vegetable garden in sunshine.
- Or Indoors at anytime of the year – Corner of any room using hydroponics and growing lamp.
- Dense, almost dry, sweet tomato flavor.
- The ideal authentic ingredient for Italian recipes.
- Days from seed to harvest – about 75 to 80 (2 to 3 months)
- About 150 cm high
One of the most common varieties of Italian Plum tomatoes, the fruits are of a good size and shape and are a magnificent Red in colour.
The San Marzano tomato is a base ingredient for many italian dishes.
How to grow San Marzano at home
Available from Amazon you can either grow a San Marzano Tomato indoors or outdoors.
If you grow them outdoors then sow the seeds from March – May in a good quality seed compost and cover lightly (appx 2 – 3 mm) with vermiculite or compost.
Keep the compost moist but not water logged.
Germination will take between 1 – 2 weeks at minimum 16 Deg C
Once the seedlings are large enough to handle carefully prick them out and re pot into 3″ pots.
These can be grown on until late may June and then planted either outside once all risk of frost has gone or kept in a cool greenhouse.
Or you can grow them indoors all year round using hydroponics & specialised lights.
For more details have a look at our guide to growing tomatoes indoors
Where to buy San Marzano seeds