- Ideal for tomato dishes, salads and especially great in cocktails.
- Stronger than regular basil with striking red colour
- Easy to grow.
- Takes about 2 to 3 months to grow
- Seeds available online – where to buy red rubin basil seeds
Red Rubin Basil is quite a new variety of Basil.
- An improved variety of Dark Opal Basil (which was originally developed by John Scarchuk and Joseph Lent at the University of Connecticut in the 1950s)
- Grown as much for it’s looks as flavour
- About 50 to 70 cm high
- Very easy to grow
The Red Rubin Basil has a stronger basil flavour than regular varieties like Genovese Basil
It is often used in recipes like Basil Pesto, but when using it simply use less than other basil types (unless you like a strong basil flavour). It is ideal as a garnish or with salads and especially good for cocktails.
- Red Basil Pesto (see video)
- Red Basil Armenian Salad
- Purple Basil Mojito (cocktail)
Traditional Red Basil Pesto Recipe
How to grow the red rubin basil at home
You can grow Red Rubin basil from seeds.
It is very easy to grow but will grow very fast.
How to grow the red rubin basil outdoors (garden, balcony, etc.)
The red rubin basil prefers direct sunlight, well drained soil and need to be frost free.
If you want to grow them outdoors the easiest option is to sow them in pots March to April and then move them outdoors when there is no danger of frost.
Pinch out the tip of the main stem to encourage bushy grow and prolong growing time.
Alternatively you can sow the seeds indoors (in a seed tray on a seedling heat mat) any time of the year and then transfer them into a pot.
For example the Red Rubin Basil shown right was sown on 7 July, transferred into a pot on 14 July – the picture was taken 28 July. And will probably be ready for 1st harvest in about 1 week i.e. 4 weeks from sowing to harvest.
How to grow Red Basil indoors (hydroponics or aquaponics)
Because of the importance of moisture and light the basil is ideally suited for hydroponics with additional lights.
Not only are they easier to grow, but you will also get fast results.