- Ideal for Italian sauce recipes
- Dense, almost dry, sweet tomato flavor.
- Easy to grow
- Takes about 2 to 3 months to grow
How to grow San Marzano tomatoes at home
- Either outside in the summer – Balcony, patio or vegetable garden in sunshine.
- Or Indoors at anytime of the year – Corner of any room using hydroponics and growing lamp.
- Days from seed to harvest – about 75 to 80 (2 to 3 months)
- About 150 cm high
2 Ways to grow the San Marzano Tomato
You can either grow a San Marzano Tomato indoors or outdoors.
- If you grow them outdoors then sow the seeds from March – May in a good quality seed compost and cover lightly (appx 2 – 3 mm) with vermiculite or compost.
- Keep the compost moist but not water logged.
- Germination will take between 1 – 2 weeks at minimum 16 Deg C
- Once the seedlings are large enough to handle carefully prick them out and re pot into 3″ pots.
These can be grown on until late may June and then planted either outside once all risk of frost has gone or kept in a cool greenhouse.
Or you can grow them indoors all year round using hydroponics & specialised lights.
Example San Marzano Tomato Recipes
Dense, almost dry, sweet tomato flavor.
The ideal authentic ingredient for Italian recipes.