- Key ingredient in many recipes.
- With a floral, strongly aromatic flavour
- The Greek variety is the easiest recognisable flavour.
- Takes about 2 to 3 months to grow before harvest
- Where to buy herb seeds
The oregano herb (also know as Greek oregano) is grown for the unique flavour of its leave.
- Very often used in Greek, Italian and Turkish recipes.
- Fresh oregano has a milder flavour then dried oregano.
- Often used with roasted, fried, or grilled vegetables, meat, and fish
- Days from seed to harvest : about 60 – 90 (2 to 3 months)
- About 30 to 60 cm high
Great flavour for many recipes – ranging from pizza to flavouring lamb and kebabs.
How to grow oregano seeds at home
The oregano herb can be grown from oregano seeds and is very easy to grow.
How to grow the herb outdoors (garden, balcony, etc.)
The oregano plant prefer warmth & direct sunlight, well drained soil and need to be frost free.
That is why if you want to grow them outdoors then the best option is to start them indoors about 4 to 8 weeks before the last frost and then transfer them when the nights are warmer.
Surface-sow or barely cover the seeds indoors, and keep warm and moist. When sprouts appear move them to a sunny window. Set out well-developed transplants after last frost date when weather is warm. Oregano need rich moist soil and warm sunny conditions to flourish. Best sown in early spring.
Fully grown they can be up to 30 to 60 cm in height i.e. an individual pot might be the best option.
How to grow oregano indoors (hydroponics or aquaponics)
Because of the importance of moisture and light oregano is ideally suited for hydroponics with additional lights.
Not only are they easier to grow, but you will also get fast results.