If you want grow herbs in the kitchen then the kitchen aquaponic system (like the one available from Amazon) is a fun and easy way to test aquaponics at home.
- Grow herbs & vegetables on top of a fish tank.
- The fish tank is a scaled-down aquaponics system, so the fish waste fertilizes the plants & the plants clean the water.
- The tank will hold goldfish, betta fish, guppies, koi and other smaller freshwater fish
How does it work, what is aquaponics?
Aquaponics is a very easy & fun way to grow fresh vegetables, salads and herbs in your kitchen.
Where you grow your plants only using water, but as opposed to hydroponics the water will also contain fish – so you only have to feed the fish and their excrement will nourish the plants.
The advantages of using aquaponics to grow plants are
Same advantages as hydroponics – i.e.
- no soil required,
- easier to grow & manage plants, etc.
However, in addition:
- Aquaponics can be cheaper to operate as fish feed is often cheaper than the nutrients added to the water in an hydroponic system
- Once well established (after about 6 months) it can produce even faster growth and better yields than hydroponics.
- Easier to get fully organic plants.
- The fish can be very appealing to households (with big or little children)
- Or the fish can even be grow to generate additional income
Ideal for testing aquaponics at home
For example the Water Garden Kit (shown above) has been beautifully redesigned with an elegant curved tank, double the growing space, custom grow pods for easy planting and harvesting, and improved accessibility to customize your fish’s home.
This self-cleaining fish tank lets you easily grown your own organic sprouts & herbs all year-round. Great for kitchen counters or school classrooms. curriculum for kids ages 8-15.
This is great if you are new to aquaponics and would just ‘test it’ (as well as having a real talking point)
However, if you are serious about growing your own food at home, then do have a look at the home aquaponics kit.
This kitchen aquaponics system is a scaled down to a table-top system.
This is how it works :
- Fish waste, which is toxic to the fish if allowed to accumulate, is pumped through an inner tube in the tank into a grow tray above containing plants.
- The plant roots act as a biofilter where beneficial bacteria break down the harmful ammonia in the waste into nitrites and then finally nitrates which are absorbed as food by the plants.
- The clean water is circulated back into the fish tanks so all you have to do is feed the fish!
Best aquaponic vegetables or herbs ?
The kitchen aquaponics system will grow organic wheatgrass, leafy greens and herbs such as parsley, cilantro, mint, arugula, mixed greens, and other varieties of basil.
For more details at the best plants for aquaponics guide
Best kitchen aquaponics system fish ?
- Types of fish to use: Goldfish, betta fish, guppies, koi and other smaller freshwater fishses
- Suitable Size & Number of Fish: Under 6cm -8 fishes, 6-10cm -4 fishes.
For full details visit Amazon.