- This basil has a very spicy, fragrant aroma and flavor.
- Takes about 2 to 3 months to grow
Cinnamon basil (also called sweet Mexican basil) is probably originally from China or India but very much linked to Mexico.
Example Cinnamon Basil recipes.
This basil can be very difficult to get in shops but is very easy to grow at home.
And is the ideal herb to grow if you like cooking Central American Dishes. For example Mexican or South American
It is also known as Mexican spice basil, has a spicy, fragrant aroma and flavor. It can be used not only in pastas & salads but also in cookies, pies and even ice cream.
How to grow Cinnamon basil at home
If you want to grow it then this basil is ideally suited for planting outside in a pot on a balcony or terrace or inside on a sunny windowsill (or using lighting)
It loves warm very sunny conditions and hates cold draughts. If you want to grow basil in soil then:
- Days from seed to harvest – about 70 (2 to 3 months)
- It will germinate in 12 to 40 days
Growing Basil using Hydroponics or Aquaponics
It is one of the most popular herbs to grow using hydroponics – as it will be ready to be harvested quicker than planted in soil.
But in addition it is ideal for aquaponics – especially because it loves nitrogen. In addition, whether using hydroponics or aquaponics you will be able to grow it all year around – providing you with fresh herbs when you want it.
- This type of basil has a spicy, fragrant aroma and flavor. It contains methyl cinnamate, the same chemical that gives cinnamon its flavour.
- It requires six to eight hours of bright sunlight per day. Although it is often grown as an annual, it is a perennial in USDA plant hardiness zones 9-11. Cinnamon basil is sometimes planted near tomatoes and roses to discourage pests such as whiteflies.
- It has somewhat narrow, slightly serrated, dark green, shiny leaves with reddish-purple veins, which can resemble certain types of mint, and produces small, pink flowers from July to September. Its stems are dark purple. Cinnamon basil grows to 18-30 inches tall.