- The Chesnok Red garlic is ideal for East European dishes or roasted.
- Sweet garlic flavour.
- Easy to grow
- Takes about 3 to 4 months to grow
- Available on Amazon
The Chesnok red garlic is a great general purpose garlic that will store for months on end without losing its flavour
Example Chesnok Red garlic recipes
A key advantage is that it will store for months on end without losing its flavour.
It is especially well known for being a garlic that is great for roasting.
General Purpose Recipes
Originally from the Republic of Georgia it is great in recipes like:
But it is especially good in either roasted garlic (where you roast the garlic and then squeeze the juice over meals) or as individual garlic pods in items like roasted chicken or crispy roasted potatoes:
How to grow Chesnok Red garlic at home.
The Chesnok Red Garlic is very easy to grow, but (like all garlics) it does tend to smell when growing – you won’t notice it outside (terrace, balcony, etc.) but will notice it indoors.
They are ideal for areas with very cold winters (such as the UK, Northern Europe, North America, etc.) so they are dormant and then start in the spring i.e. ideal for outdoors, vegetable garden plots, etc.
For best results plant in Autumn in cold climates or even better put in a fridge for 2 weeks before planting.
The skins are a nice off-white with a purple blush and it produces 8-10 cloves per head.
Product details zones: 3-9 seeding depth:
- Seed individual cloves with the scab end down and the pointed end up, one to two inches deep in well-worked beds.
- Space 4″ apart in same row.
- Place 36″ between separate rows.
- Sun/shade: full sun
- Seed 4-6 weeks before frost. Early-mid spring. Will develop in spring.
- Or seed in spring for mid-late summer harvest.